Good Mood Food
We as a nation should be eating more good mood food its so easy to end up on a sugar rollercoaster which only drains us of energy and effects mood memory and concentration.
So manage your mood through food
Changing your diet can help balance your mood and help with concentration and focus.
Start by Balancing your blood sugar
• Eat regularly every 3-4 hours
• Combine protein and carbohydrates at each meal and snack
• The major source of fuel for the body
• And also food for the brain!
• Focus on quantity but also on quality, avoid refined, go for wholegrain oats and breads.
• Managing your weight and exercise level will keep weight in check but also boost energy levels!
• Too much refined sugars can cause moods swings and energy dips- read the labels for added sugars.
Miracle of Magnesium
• This is a mineral we don’t have enough of in our diet!
• The brain uses magnesium to support concentration and memory, and it also has an anti-anxiety affect.
• Magnesium-rich foods include dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, mackerel, beans, lentils and avocados.
• Lots of good supplements available- citrate form the best
Other factors for managing your mood
• B Vitamins are essential – Folate, B6 & B12
• Omega 3 fats – found in oily fish, walnuts, avocados
• Trytophan – essential in the manufacture of the happy neurotransmitter Serotonin found in turkey, chicken, nuts and eggs.
• Exercise – releases feel good chemicals
• Sleep – lack of sleep makes us anxious and unwell
• Hydration is essential for every function in the body.