|2 red onions, finely sliced|
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
1 inch of fresh root ginger
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 tin of chopped tomatoes or 400g fresh tomatoes1 tin chickpeas
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped coriander
pepper to taste
- Grate or chop garlic and leave to one side. Add the cumin and coriander seeds to a large saucepan and leave for a few mins on the heat.
- Take out of pan and grind in a coffee grinder or a pestle and mortar. Or use pre-ground.
- In the meantime, put the chopped onions into the saucepan and cover with a little water and allow to sweat for 10 mins with lid on.
- Grate the ginger and add to onions. Then add the turmeric, the ground cumin and coriander, the garlic and the carrot and stir well.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the chickpeas and some pepper.
- Add a little hot water (about 200ml) and bring to boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for about 10-15 mins or until the carrots are cooked through.
- At the last minute, stir through the fresh coriander and check for seasoning.
- Serve with some brown rice or brown rice noodles and some steamed green veg.